Scientist - CCAFSThe International Crop Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics (ICRISAT) seeks applications for a Scientist-CCAFS to serve for the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) based at ICRISAT Bamako – Mali.
CCAFS aims to address the increasing challenge of global warming and declining food security on agricultural practices, policies and measures through a strategic collaboration between CGIAR and Future Earth. CCAFS brings together the world's best researchers in agricultural science, climate science, environmental and social sciences to identify and address the most important interactions, synergies and trade-offs between climate change and agriculture. CCAFS is structured around four closely inter-linked global research flagships: Climate-smart agricultural practices; Climate information services and climate-informed safety nets; Low-emissions agricultural development; and Policies and institutions for climate-resilient food systems. The Program is focusing on five regions: South-East Asia, South Asia, Latin America, East Africa and West Africa. For more information visit www.ccafs.cgiar.org
The incumbent will report to CCAFS Regional Program Leader (RPL), and will be a member of the ICRISAT multi-disciplinary team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handling administrative tasks for the CCAFS regional program for West Africa, especially with regards to the development and advancement of partnerships;
- Monitoring budget implementation and fund disbursement according to contracts with partners;
- Monitoring the execution of CCAFS research activities with partners in the sub‐region;
- Developing the CCAFS West Africa yearly work plan and budget;
- Liaising with other CCAFS science officers for specific CCAFS-WA contributions to CCAFS global level initiatives;
- Reviewing reports and project-related documentation from partners;
- Synthesizing knowledge and contributing to strategic research of interest to CCAFS within own areas of expertise;
- Handling logistics for and actively participating in workshops, meetings and capacity‐building activities;
- Fund raising through development of research projects in collaboration where possible, with partners;
- Representing CCAFS (and the Regional Program Leader) in national, regional and international meetings, and helping to develop and maintain collaborative relationships;
- PhD in agricultural science, environmental science, or related discipline with 3-5 years post-doctoral experience;
- Relevant work experience in program/project management/administration, including planning and monitoring of project execution;
- Good skills on participatory action research and smallholder farming systems in West Africa, climate related risks, and the use of research to achieving development outcomes;
- Excellent communication skills in French and English;
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills, and ability to write synthesis reports as well as to publish in peer reviewed international journals;
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks with diverse multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The contract will be initially for a period of two years and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability. An attractive compensation will be offered to the right candidate.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 5 December 2014, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted. Please
“CLICK HERE” to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in increasing the participation of women on its staff.